LIFE ISN'T MEASURED BY THE BREATHS YOU TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY!

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Our spring guests

This post is a little late in the season, but I wanted to share with you the story of Tatum & Cross's springtime guests. Tatum even did a poster of my "time lapse" photography for extra credit in school. Anyway, Tatum noticed one day while we were playing in the back yard that a nest had been built in our backyard next to the house. The nest wasn't in a tree, but on the top of our electricity meter. It seems like our spring has been windier than usual. Tatum & I thought that it was really cool how God told our robin to build her nest where she did. The wind didn't even phase it. Tatum was real worried about them when we had to take shelter for the tornado. I just told her that God had equipped the mom to take as good care of them as possible & of course they came through it (as we all did) unscathed.

We soon figured out that the nest was built by robins. After we watched her for several days, we realized that she had layed 5 beautiful, blue robin eggs.
About 2 weeks later, we noticed the eggs had started hatching. First one, then two,
& then 3. When an egg isn't fertilized the robins kick it out of the nest & we found where one of them had been removed.
Soon, the little birds were chirping for food. We even watched as the mom or dad regurgitated worms into there mouths. Sorry, I couldn't get a picture of this, mom & dad would fly away every time I came outside.
The mom & dad took posts on the fence & the tree right across from the nest. They began dive bombing Sutton every time he went outside. This is the last picture I got of our baby birds.
The kids really enjoyed this nature lesson & are hoping we have guests again next year.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

That's so cool! I can't believe you got all those photos. Great lesson for Tatum and Cross.

Kim said...

Very cool and great pictures!