LIFE ISN'T MEASURED BY THE BREATHS YOU TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ahhh, Winter in Oklahoma

January is usually the start of Oklahoma's wintery weather. We may have some cool days in December but for the most part, the frigidness comes in the first month of the year. This being said, Friday we decided to do family fun day at the zoo. In January, you ask? Yes-sir-ree. For most of you, you know that this past Friday was bee-u-tee-ful! I'm talking, sun shining, a gentle breeze, & temp high of 77 degrees. You'd be crazy not to want to go outside & enjoy that kind of springtime weather & the zoo was the perfect place to do it. Tatum & Cross have been begging for the past few months to go. We got there to see that the parking lot was full, but when we got in it wasn't that bad. The animals were all out taking in the gorgeous day & some were even putting on a bit of a show (that would be the chimps & other primates).

Here are the kiddos, just enjoying the day.
(this seems to be the way Cross likes to smile in pictures now, Ugh!)
Here we are in the Children's zoo. The kids love this part.
They love to slide down the rock slide, go to the petting zoo (which for some reason putting the fake veggies in a basket was more interesting than petting the animals), walking in the little river (a dry riverbed right now) & going to the explorikeet exhibit (you'd think that wouldn't be a big deal, seeing as we have our own at home).
This is a picture of Zoe. She's our 3 year old Chimpanzee. Her story is so touching.
Usually you can see her from a distance playing with the other members of her troop,
but today she was putting on a show. I couldn't resist snapping some pictures of her.
So, fastforward 4 days later. Our lovely 70 degree weather not even an afterthought, enter the blizzard of 2011. Wind gusts of 50+mph, snow, & frigid temperatures. When I say frigid, I mean single digit temps, negative wind chills.(For those of you who know my Pop, you'd know exactly how he'd describe this cold weather-I can't go there on this kid friendly blog).
We couldn't even let the kids out to play in it the first day, because the wind chill was so low, it was too dangerous. I'm telling you, I'm thankful that I don't have to deal with temps like this everyday of the winter or even every year. How do people in the north deal with this. Cabin fever alone has me going crazy!

Here are Tatum & Cross sitting in a little snow cave in the front yard.
This was their second trip out & Cross lasted as long as it took to take this picture & that was about all I wanted of it too.
Here they are in the backyard, going through the snow tunnel that Toby dug. You can't tell but it has 3 entrances/exits. This was our first time outside, & it was about a 20 minute stay.
We didn't get to build a snowman, the snow is too dry. We're hoping that we might get a little one up before the snow is all gone.
To finish this entry, all I have to say is we've had our snow, so bring on spring. I'm ready to thaw!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

thanks for taking my little monkey to the zoo. she's so lucky to have you guys taking care of her. well, I'm lucky too.