LIFE ISN'T MEASURED BY THE BREATHS YOU TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Kindergarten does Kandinsky

Wassily Kandinsky was a Russian born painter that belonged to a group of artists called Expressionists. Expressionists wanted to express feelings, dreams, & ideas through their pictures, using colors that weren't necessarily natural to their subjects (i.e. blue horses, green faces, yellow cows). Anyway as time went on, real objects disappeared from Kandinsky's pictures. They all turned into patches of bright color, making them more abstract. When you look closely & use your imagination, you can make out animals, eyes, trees, etc. from his paintings.

Now that you've had that little art lesson, I'll get to the point of this entry.

This year Parkland did a silent auction for their school fundraiser. Each class was to do something that could be auctioned off & Mrs. Sullivan's class did a recreation of Kandinsky's painting Farbstudie. Each student was given a square & asked to pick out 3 colors to use to make their circles. It turned out really cute, & I thought this sure would look good in Tatum's room & a great little memory treasure to boot. The auction came & I bid. In fact, I got into a bit of a bidding war (of course knowing what my limit was). At the close of the auction, I came out the victor. So now Tatum has a new piece of artwork hanging in her room, one that actually has meaning & artistic style.

She was so excited that we got it.
Here she is pointing to her square.

1 comment:

sana said...

nice blog...
n beautiful children :)