Okay, so everyone knows that birthdays are a big deal for me. I look at them as the day God gave you to celebrate you. I tend to do birthdays up big, well at least I do for my children & I always want to do something special for mine & Toby's birthdays. This year for Toby's I fell short. He spent his actual birthday in St. Louis with my brother & dad at a Cardinal's baseball game (which he loved) while the kids & I were in TN with family. My plans were to do something when we got home. I also had no idea what to get him. Any of you who really know Toby, know that he is hard to buy for. The gift that works best for him is a gift card, but as his wife that's like saying here's your money you made, get yourself something nice. So needless to say, I didn't have a gift for him when he got home. The kids & I did make him a fruit pizza instead of a birthday cake & we went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. I really thought that the fact that he got to go to St. Louis on a "guy's weekend" & the that we made him a dessert that he would be okay with this.
Oh my goodness, NO! He let me know several times, for weeks that we didn't celebrate his birthday. I really was surprised that he cared so much. So I tried to make it up to him. Tatum & I planned a surprise birthday party for him. I got him sushi from his favorite place, Sushi Neko, the kids picked out special partyware for him (Superman plates with Spiderman napkins), we got a birthday balloon bouquet, & we got an ice cream cake from Cold Stone Creamery. Everything was displayed out & when he got home Tatum & Cross jumped from their hiding place to yell
SURPRISE!
I cooked mine & the kid's dinner (pizza), because as Cross would say, "We don't like shushi." & then I set up the ottoman with pillows around it so we could eat Japanese style.
We finished our party playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey. This was a must have according to Tatum, yet she's never been to a party where this was played (I totally attribute this to either Dora or Diego).
I think I might have made up for my Epic Birthday Fail a little bit. I can tell you this, I won't ever mess up like that again! Oh yeah, I finally figured out something to get him, but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't fill you in on what it is, in the event that he might actually read this blog for once.
Birthday Dinner- Japanese Style
Toby's sushi- I tried, but went a little safe.
A Salmon Roll & Tuna Roll
Blowing out his candles
Pin the Tail on the Donkey
Tatum...
Toby...
Me...
Cross...
The end result.
In case you can't tell, I won!

No comments:
Post a Comment