LIFE ISN'T MEASURED BY THE BREATHS YOU TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ole' Ole' Ole' It's Cross's Birthday

Today was a double celebration. The most important, of course, was Cross's 3rd birthday but it was also the first game for the USA in the World Cup Soccer Tournament. We decided to make this the theme of Cross's birthday party. He seems to really like the game of soccer, as much as a 3 year old can. We made a mini soccer field in our front yard & decorated with soccer & USA banners. Cross & Tatum wore their USA soccer jerseys, Toby dawned a soccer shirt, & I, well I played the role of a soccer mom (It seems I might be destined to be one eventually). As the kids arrived we tatted them up with soccer &/or USA tattoos & let them play a little soccer.
The next item of entertainment was the pinata. Wait until you see this pinata, it was the real deal actually made by a Hispanic American (well I'm going to assume they are a legal citizen). This was Cross's gift from some family friends & it saved me because I was having a hard time finding a soccer themed one. Evidently, "real deal" pinatas aren't as easily busted as mass produced ones you can find in the party section. Every child at the party wacked it really good several times, but it took Toby & Grumpa using a knife to get it open enough for Cross to bust it & let the candy pour out.
After this, it was time for cupcakes & ice cream. I'm not much of a cake designer, but I have to admit they turned out pretty cute. Strawberry cake (we tried to talk him into chocolate so it could be like the soil of the soccer field, but he told me 3 & 2 times that he wanted strawberry), frosted with green icing covered in green sugar crystals topped with a chocolate soccer ball & American flag. The chocolate soccer balls were a little of an ordeal to find & once I did find them, I discovered they were at the first place I went to for decorations. We sang Happy Birthday & another little diddy that Tatum wrote & he blew out the candle (just one #3 candle, that he picked out himself). Actually, he blew out the lighter because the wind wasn't allowing the candle to be lit. And then, yum... cake, ice cream, & fruit punch (in a soccer cup, of course).
Lastly, it was onto the presents. Boy the loot this kid got. I would definitely say he is liked. I don't think he realized exactly what he got until after his nap. He was a very polite little guy, saying thank you to each person individually.
We finished the event by going to McDonalds for lunch & then later Chick-fil-a for dinner. Overall I think he had a wonderful birthday & I had a great time with him!

Getting ready for the big event(s)... the party & USA vs. England

Have you ever seen such a fabulous pinata?
Blowing out the candle.
Enjoying a little birthday refreshment
Even Cross's soccer coach, KB Hilburn, came.
Present time, present time, open the present & see what's inside.
(a little Blue's Clues birthday song, FYI)

1 comment:

Micah and Sunny said...

Aw, happy birthday crossy!!! You are such a big boy. And, wowzee that pinata is HUMONGO. Way to go all out and support the mother land too. Your mama rocks at planning birthday parties!