
If you read my last post, you will remember me saying that I'm going to try to run a 5k every month (except for the colder months of Dec-Feb). Well, I really did mean it & I logged 5k #2 in the books this past Sunday as part of a relay team for the Memorial Marathon. I had done a 5k stretch on a relay team before, but it was the second 5k leg. This time I wanted to do the first one, so I could get to church. So dressed in my running clothes, armed with my ipod for stopwatch purposes & some worship tunes, & wrapped in my windbreaker, I rode the shuttle from downtown to my exchange point at the 1st Christian Church. It took my team mate about an hour to get to me (I got there just in time), the exchange was made, & I was off on my second of many 5k runs. I conquered this mammoth hill & several other hills (I actually think that every hill on the course was in my leg of the race). My next teammate was waiting for me & ready to go. I got my recovery water & orange slices (the best oranges ever I might add) & waited for an hour & a half for my shuttle back to the downtown bus stop. That was definitely the downer of the event.
Well, my team finished in 5 hours & 9 minutes, & my leg of the race was 37 minutes. This was a little longer than my last 5k, but this course was much hillier & technically my leg was farther than 3.2 miles. I had fun other than the waiting for the shuttle (which was 3x longer than it took me to run).
I ran to remember those who died & those who survived, I experienced being part of a team, & I cut another notch on my 5k run belt. I'm well on my way to my monthly goal. When this is all said & done I'm going to have a whole bunch of jewelry. Oh yeah, a big way to go & woo hoo to those who ran the half & the whole marathon. And before you ask, my bucket list does not have those two things listed on it, I'm fine with working on my 5k time!
Side note: Tatum showed Toby my medal & he said, "I didn't know that Mommy won the marathon." She answered, " Daddy she didn't, someone else probably got a trophy." She is planning on doing the kid's marathon next year, after she saw her friend's medals. Maybe the medal will mean more then.
1 comment:
Proud of you!!! That's awesome, I love your goal of a 5K a month. Funny about the medal. Ree seriously thinks I won the thing since I have the medal and Jeehan looks for it all over the house and finds it and always brings it to me and insists that I put it around my neck. Super funny!
Post a Comment